Monmouth: Postcards

 From the heart of Monmouth, IL, about a half-century ago (or, if you will, around the time my family and I first moved here)…







…and the college, at least a full century and some change ago (it was replaced in 1907 by Wallace Hall)…

MONMOUTH COLLEGE, MONMOUTH, ILL
J. M. HAMILTON, PUBLISHER

Addressee: Archie McIntyre
Little York, Illinois
R. F. D. #2

 

…and then, the college again (below), dated somewhere between the above postcards. I know they moved the fine arts from this building (over to the old chicken hatchery above the football field), before we arrived in town in 1967, but the specific date escapes me.* When we moved here, the college administrative offices were in place here, and, about a decade later, in that capacity, it was Mom's workplace.

I used to sit on that front wall to watch parades go by down Broadway, but I need a little more comfort and back-support than a slightly-beveled concrete slab offers, these days.

FINE ARTS BUILDING
MONMOUTH COLLEGE,
MONMOUTH, ILLINOIS - 18








*If you know when the move took place, or have actual memories of the days before that shift, I'd love to hear from you in the comments.

Comments

Popular Posts